Here are University of Illinois College of Medicine’s secondary questions.
No character limit is indicated.
1. What characteristics, qualities, or attributes do you possess that have helped you to deal with conflict and change?
2. Which characteristics, qualities, or attributes of UICOM attracted you to apply for medical school here?
3. An important part of UICOM’s identity is the concept of “one college, three campuses.” The curriculum is identical on each campus; however, each campus has unique characteristics. Please describe what you have learned about at least two of our three campuses.
4. What are some of the causes and consequences of prejudice and injustice? What does an individual’s response to prejudice and injustice reveal about their character? What is the role of a bystander who witnesses prejudice or injustice?
5. UICOM values a wide range of perspectives. Describe an aspect of your own perspective, value system, or lived experience that is important to you and how it would contribute to the diverse and collaborative community at UICOM.
6. Have you applied for admission to medical school previously?
If you are reapplying this year please describe what you have done during the past year.
7. Have you ever matriculated into and not completed a professional/graduate program?
Please describe the circumstances of why you did not complete the program of study.
1. Describe a stressful situation that you have experienced. Please detail your reaction, how you managed the situation, and what you learned that will help you handle a similar circumstance in the future.
2. In addition to training as a competent physician please select up to two additional areas of interest from the items below that you may want to pursue during your medical studies. Your responses will have no bearing on applications to joint degrees or special programs to which you might also apply.
- Clinical Research
- Basic science research
- Interdisciplinary collaboration
- Healthcare disparities
- Academic medicine
- Global Health
- Community Health Urban
- Community Health Rural
- Innovation Medicine
3. Have you applied for admission to medical school previously?
4. Have you ever matriculated into and not completed a professional/graduate program?
5. Please describe any abrupt changes that you experienced in your preparation for application for medical school due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Also note that if you are interested in any of the scholarly concentrations, there are additional essays that are program specific.
Get secondary application advising from MedSchoolCoach.