Dr. Erkeda DeRouen is joined by Dr. Ram Rao, a physician scientist, and Pediatric Hematology Oncology Fellow at Stanford University. In this episode, he gives advice on doing MD/PhDs and what to do when switching specialties.
- [00:44] Introducing Dr. Rao
- [03:56] Process of Doing MD/PhD
- [05:40] Advise on Switching Specialties
- [12:20] Passions Outside of Medicine
- [14:27] Dr. Rao’s Best Piece of Advice
Doing MD/PhD and Switching Specialties
Dr. Rao realized that it would have been difficult to do research while being in orthopedic surgery. In his current field of Pediatric Hematology Oncology, people tend to do 75% research and 25% clinical. To make the transition of switching specialties, it takes a lot of self-reflection and knowing what makes you happy. The main thing to remembers is to talk to people because there are plenty willing to help and remember that you are not alone.