Everyone knows that professionals in the medical field are highly compensated, especially if your training has earned you the title “Dr.” in front of your name. But exactly how well are they paid? According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics’ “National Occupational Employment and Wage Estimates,” they are paid extremely well. In fact, health professionals dominate the top ten highest paid list. Out of the ten highest paid careers, nine of them are from the medical field. The lone non-health profession on the list was chief executives. The ranking is based on mean hourly wage.
- Anesthesiologist – 112.96
- Surgeons – 111.32
- Obstetricians and Gynecologists – 105.10
- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons – 104.51
- Orthodontists – 98.40
- Internists, General – 90.97
- Physicians and Surgeons, All Other – 88.78
- Family and General Practitioners – 85.26
- Chief Executives – 84.88
- Psychiatrists – 83.73
*The Bureau of Labor Statistics calculated this wage by collecting data from more than 1.2 million businesses in May of 2011.
**Not all specialties of healthcare were listed on BLS’ report.